Estate Planning for Retirees
Getting your ducks in a row.
If you are anything like my older retired clients, you want to make sure that you have your affairs in order in case something happens to you. Whether you are worried about incapacity, illness or death, I can help you put the people, documents and plans in place to deal with these possibilities, giving you the peace of mind that comes from proper planning.
You want to make it as easy as possible for your loved ones to deal with your death or possible incapacity. Together, we will create a plan to make this transition as painless as possible and you will rest assured that your wishes will be honored.
We will help you select the right people to handle your affairs, draft the documents to give them the legal power to do so (wills, trusts, powers of attorney), and memorialize your wishes about the disposition of your assets.
Questions to think about
The plan we develop will address all of these issues;
- Who will make healthcare decisions for me if I become disabled?
- What kind of medical care do I want if I am dying and can’t make decisions for myself?
- Who do I want to manage my assets and personal affairs if I become disabled?
- Who do I want to settle my affairs and distribute my property after my death?
- Where do I want my property to go at my death?
- Do any of my beneficiaries require assistance or protection?
- How can I minimize expenses, taxes (income, probate, and estate taxes) and delays if I become disabled or die?
- When I die, will I have sufficient assets or insurance to pay the expenses and taxes resulting from my death and to provide for my beneficiaries?
What you need:
- A will or a trust (click HERE for more info about a will, or HERE for info about trusts)
- A Durable Power of Attorney
- A Living Will
- A Health Care Proxy
- A HIPAA waiver
- A Letter of Last Instructions, a summary of key financial and personal information
- Disposition Instructions with your funeral and disposition wishes
- Instructions regarding tangible personal property (who gets specific items such as jewelry, china, tools etc.
Ready to Move Forward?
If you are ready to get your ducks in a row, click HERE to learn how to get started.