GLASTONBURY ESTATE PLANNING ATTORNEY STEVE BASCHE
Attorney Steven Basche has been practicing law in Connecticut for over 27 years. Steve’s role model as a lawyer is Ronnie Jacobs, the senior partner at his former law firm Jacobs, Walker, Rice & Basche, LLC. Steve saw how Ronnie’s clients felt comfortable consulting with him about virtually anything that came up in their lives that had some legal angle and has modeled his practice to give his clients that same comfort level.
Steve’s practice focuses on helping families plan for unexpected life events in part because he had to deal with his father’s unexpected death as a young man. Steve was 14 when his father died suddenly and he became the “man of the house.” His father had planned for the unexpected, so there was none of the financial turmoil that could have accompanied such a tragedy, but Steve learned valuable lessons during that period, especially the value of planning for the unexpected and the importance of having advisors you can trust.
Steve’s clients know that when they call him they are talking to a trusted advisor with over 27 years of broad legal and life experience. Steve has been named one of Hartford’s Top Estate Planning Attorneys by Hartford Magazine.
One of Steve’s practice areas is helping families with children with special needs. One of Steve’s nieces, has autism, so he is particularly sensitive to the desire of families with children with special needs to ensure that their estate plan does not render their children ineligible for governmental and charitable assistance for the expenses medical care, therapy, housing and related items, through the use of a Special Needs Trust. He has enjoyed seeing his niece’s incredible strides, and yet is very aware of the concerns his sister has about how to ensure her daughter is cared for as she approaches adulthood.
Steve grew up in West Hartford and graduated from William H. Hall High School. He graduated from the University of Connecticut, as an Honors Scholar, and served as the president of the Undergraduate Student Government. Steve was honored with the Donald L. McCullough award for outstanding service to the University. The most important event of Steve’s years at UConn was neither academic nor political. A few weeks into his senior year Steve met Marie Virella, the love of his life, and thankfully, his life has never been the same. Steve and Marie were married after Steve’s second year of law school. They have been married for over 27 years and have three children, Benjamin, Arianna and Matthew.
Steve considers himself a sailor, but that is a bit of a stretch. He knows how to sail, wants to sail, and has plans to sail this summer. Don’t ask him about the maiden voyage on the “Miss Adventure” his first 9 foot sailing dingy. He sails better than he plays the guitar, and he golfs better than he sails. For now anyway.
Steve graduated the University of Connecticut School of Law, with honors in 1986 and began practicing law at a large downtown firm, Schatz & Schatz, Ribicoff & Kotkin, and then a smaller downtown firm, Cohn, Birnbaum & Shea. He joined Jacobs, Walker, Rice & Basche in 1991 and worked there for 17 years. In 2008, Steve started his own office and he has been providing clients with legal advice for life ever since.
- Admitted to the Connecticut and U.S. District Court, District of Connecticut Bars in 1986.
- Admitted to the Second Circuit Court of Appeals in 1998.
- Graduated from the University of Connecticut, B.A. magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa, Honors Scholar in 1983, President of the Undergraduate Student Government. Awarded Donald L. McCullough award for outstanding service to the University of Connecticut.
- Graduated from the University of Connecticut School of Law, with honors, Moot Court Board, in 1986.
- Past member of the Board of Managers of the Indian Valley YMCA.
- Past President of the Hartford County chapter of the Federal Bar Association.
- Past Chairman of the Law Practice Management Section of the Connecticut Bar Association.
- Member of the Manchester and Connecticut Bar Associations.
- Appointed Fact Finder/Arbitrator and Attorney Trial Referee by Chief Justice of Connecticut Supreme Court.
- Member of the Glastonbury Chamber of Commerce